Thursday, August 14, 2008

Genius.


Oscar Wilde has got to be the wittiest person to have ever walked this earth. I just finished a movie adaptation of his play "Lady Windermere's Fan" and after reading like 50 articles for my film class about it, I have concluded that he is a literary genius. Sadly, all good things must end and he was put on trial, dragged down by homophobic bureaucratic idiots. Damn. He shoulda gone to Berkeley....

Here are some awesome quotes by Mr. Wilde:
  • A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her.
  • Music makes one feel so romantic - at least it always gets on one's nerves - which is the same thing nowadays.
  • Most modern calendars mar the sweet simplicity of our lives by reminding us that each day that passes is the anniversary of some perfectly uninteresting event.
  • If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.
  • Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.
  • Why was I born with such contemporaries?
  • A true friend stabs you in the front.
  • My own business always bores me to death; I prefer other people's.
  • Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.
  • The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
  • To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.
  • An excellent man; he has no enemies; and none of his friends like him.
  • Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
  • I want my food dead. Not sick, not dying, dead.
  • It is better to be beautiful than to be good. But... it is better to be good than to be ugly.
  • When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is.
... and in the spirit of the Olympics:
  • America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
... and i think he hates marriage:
  • How marriage ruins a man! It is as demoralizing as cigarettes, and far more expensive.
... and my favorite:
  • There is no sin except stupidity.
Oscar Wilde is my hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment